Thursday 13 March 2008

DOWN BUT NOT OUT

by Kate Smail

SquareOne Sports

We may have trounced England at the rugby, but let’s face it, Scotland is more famous for its deep fried food than its sporting prowess.
But there is one sport where we’re starting to gain recognition, and that’s the high octane world of downhill mountain biking. Last September, Scotland’s Ruaridh Cunningham took the gold in the junior event at the World Championships, and what’s more he did it on home soil in Fort William. SquareOne made the 18 year old from Stow stay still just long enough to explain what it’s all about.


S1: For those people who don't know much about the sport, describe the basics of downhill.


RC: It’s basically downhill skiing on a bike, lots of jumps and other more technical obstacles litter a taped out track on a mountain and we race the clock. It involves every aspect of fitness; mental, physical and it involves a great skill range too.


S1: What do you think of the campaign to make downhill an Olympic sport?


RC: It should be in there for sure. I can’t see the Winter Olympics without the downhill skiing and what we do is basically the summer version. It’s also an exciting sport to watch, and to be honest that can’t be said for every Olympic sport. Who wants to watch bowling?! It’s definitely up to the Olympic standard.


S1: Describe your emotions when you crossed the line and realised you'd become the world champ?

RC: I'd say I was relieved more than anything! It was the one race I'd planned to win for years and for all the hard work to pay off was just amazing. I got pretty excited when I realised I'd done it, and the emotion of the Fort William crowd spurred me on a bit too! The UK has finally found a sport we're good at.


S1: Why does it get so little media attention?


RC: I think the fact it’s not an Olympic sport and lack of television coverage. Although it’s definitely becoming bigger and the media seem to be more interested every year. Also the fact that not many people know much about it outside the sport, but the World Champs at Fort William there was 40,000 spectators, so it’s not exactly unpopular.


S1: In terms of injuries, DH is now ranked one of the most dangerous sports in the world. Ever get the fear, and what's the worst injury you’ve ever sustained?


RC: I had a pretty bad crash and damaged my knee in October. I snapped my anterior cruciate ligament, tore my medial cruciate ligament and it was a bit of a mess. That’s the worst injury I've ever had, but you do hear about people crashing and breaking their backs and necks. It does make you think, but it’s a risk we have to take.


S1: Scotland has some of the best mountain bike trails in the world, how do you think the sport will develop in this country?


RC: I think as a leisure activity at weekends mountain biking is huge. I think this will give the sport a massive boost as so many people will then be able to relate and understand what we do, having tried it themselves.


Thanks Ruaridh.




No comments: